This Post is NOT about Microsoft BI VS Sap BI. Then What is it?
well, I have been playing with SAP’s Netweaver BW Tools for past three months now as a part of a Business Intelligence class that’s about to conclude – Also, I have been involved with work on Microsoft’s SQL server Business Intelligence Tools. So I thought – it would be FUN to map SAP Netweaver BW Tools (that I got to play with in an academic capacity) and Microsoft’s Business Intelligence Tools (which is currently what I am working on) – so, here you go:
|Tool in Microsoft BI||Tool in SAP Netweaver BW|
|ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)||SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)||SAP Netweaver BW: Data Warehousing Workbench|
|Cube||SQL Server Analysis Services – Multidimensional Mode (SSAS)||SAP Netweaver BW: Data Warehousing Workbench: Modeling|
|Report Design Tool and Reporting Layer(It’s not an exhaustive list and does not include third part tools)|
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Report Builder
- Excel (Excel Services/Pivot Tables)
|Business Explorer (BEx):|
- BEx Query Designer
- BEx Analyzer (Excel Add-in)
- BEx web Analyzer
|Data Mining||Data Mining Projects in SQL Server Analysis Services||SAP Netweaver BW: Data mining – Analysis Process Designer|
Note about SAP BusinessObjects: I mapped the Tools in Microsoft BI with the tools that I got to study in my SAP class. Then I was searching what’s the current scenario in SAP world (I know about Microsoft’s!)– I learned that SAP BI world is comprised of TOOLS in SAP Netweaver BW + SAP BusinessObjects (BO). And in the course I studied the following components of Business Objects:
- Web Intelligence for ad-hoc query and reporting
- Crystal Reports for enterprise reporting
- Xcelsius (BO Dashboard) for Dashboard designing
For those interested I am also mapping few terms used while cube development in Microsoft BI and SAP Netweaver BW
|Microsoft: SSAS Multidimensional mode|
|SAP Netweaver BW|
|Data Source Views (DSV’s)||Data Source|
1) I have not mapped the Tools in Self Service BI space.
2) This comparison is not for deciding between Microsoft BI vs. SAP Netweaver BI/SAP BusinessObjects – this post is just meant for mapping tools available in Microsoft BI and SAP Netweaver BW and so if you are an expert in say Microsoft BI – this post will help you see what corresponding tool are available in SAP Netweaver BW world. Consider it as a starting guide for your research.
3) Note the date the post was written – the name of the products may have changed in future. refer to official sites for latest & greatest!
Thanks for reading.