Consider a chart like the one shown below (Sales Amount VS. State region). When a user moves their mouse over one the bars then you want them to show them the value (sales amount) of that bar as well as show them the category grouping values (State region)
(The Visualization is just for demo purpose. It’s not presentation-ready)
Here are the step by step instructions to set up Tool Tip based on the requirements:
1. You’ll have to open the series group properties to add the Tool Tip. There are a couple of ways to open the series property
1A Select the Chart. Right Click on any of the bar and select Series Properties
1B Select the Chart. Click on any of the bar. You should see chart data pane. you can click on down arrow button on the series to open series property:
2. Once you’ve opened the Series Property, here’s what you’ll do.
Make sure you’re on Series Data tab. You can either select one the fields or write an expression.
To meet our requirement of showing State & Sales Amount, I am going to write an expression.
From Tool Tip. Click on Fx
3. I wrote an expression that meets the requirements I stated earlier.
Click OK. Click OK on series property too. And return to design view
4. Preview the report. Move your mouse pointer over one of the bar chart, you should see a Tool Tip:
This makes the charts a little more easier to read. I hope this helped!
- SQLAuthority News – 5 days of SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS) Summary (sqlauthority.com)