So I got an error while trying to set up a Data Connection via Performance Point 2010 Dashboard Designer: “An unexpected system error has occurred . additional details have been logged for your administrator” – and so I did quick searches and read this & this & this & this & this and with the help of the links I solved the error. Now, there are lots of moving parts but for machine I was able to solve the error by:
1. SharePoint 2010 Central Administration
2. Manage Services on Server
3. Stopping “PerformancePoint Service”
4. And then Starting it Again.
5. If you are still facing issues then consider re-booting the server. In my case, it was a demo machine and so I quickly rebooted it.
Simple? Yeah but I spent 30 odd mins trying to figure out how to solve this error and so I thought I would document this.
Works? Yes? Great! No? Try:
-> Configure secure service store and unattended service account.
-> you can check out the links that I added earlier.
Before I got the error – I had
1. Successfully Added “PerformancePoint Service Application” via “Manage Service Applications”
2. I had made sure that the PerformancePoint Service and the Secure Store Service were Started.
3. Created a Business Intelligence Center Site and checked the Site Collection Features were properly configured.
But I got an error while trying to create a Data Connection. And I solved it! And Now can spend time creating few reports! That’s about it for this post.
2 thoughts on ““An unexpected system error occured…” – While trying to establish a Data Connection in Performance Point 2010 Dashboard Designer”