I have written about how to disable password expiration for Windows Server 2008 R2 if it is NOT a domain controller. You can Find that post here: http://parasdoshi.com/2012/04/19/how-to-disable-the-password-expiration-policy-in-windows-server-2008-r2-demo-machine/
Now, if you are looking to disable the password for the Windows Server 2008 R2 dev. machine which is also a Domain Controller then follow these steps:
1) If you go to “Local security policy- you’ll see the options but it is not going to allow you to change the setting even if you are logged in as domain administrator.
2. So we need an alternate path to edit the password expiration policy.
Go to Start > Administrative Tools > Group Policy Management
3. Here click on “edit” for the default domain policy for the domain of your choice:
4. Go To Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Account Policies > Password Policy
5. Change the Password Policy!
Note that changing your password policy to disable password expiration is a security vulnerability. It’s applicable for your Demo Machine only. Or your Dev Machine. The reason I am documenting it that I do not want to change the password of Windows Server on which I have my Sharepoint BI dev environment Setup. It’s MY Dev Environment and I am NOT sharing it with other folks PLUS I do not anything sensitive on it, So I can afford disabling the password expiration policy.
That’s about it for this post. Happy Tweaking!