This post is a quick summary for all Business Analytics related updates that I saw at PASS Summit’14:
1. Theme of the Keynote(s)/Session(s) seemed to be around educating the community about the benefits of the NEW(er) tools. I saw demos/material for cloud-based tools like SQL databases, Azure stream analytics, Azure DocumentDB, AzureHDInsight & Azure Machine learning. The core message was pretty clear: A data professional does two things – 1) Guards data OR 2) helps to generate Insights from Data – And they will need to keep up-to-date on the new tools to future-proof their career.
2. Coming soon: Power BI will be able to connect to on-premise SSAS data sources (multi-dim & tabular).
3. Coming soon: A better experience to create Power BI dashboards.
— Eric Flamm (@eflamm) November 5, 2014
Read more about Power BI updates here: http://www.jenunderwood.com/2014/11/05/pass-summit-2014-bi-news/
4. Azure Machine Learning adds a free-tier! You won’t need a credit-card/subscription to sign up for this.
5. I also saw sessions proposing new way of thinking about an architecture for “Self Service BI” and “Big Data” which might be worth following because since these are newer tools, it’s definitely worth considering an architecture that’s designed to make the most of the investments in these new tools. That’s it & I’ll leave you with a quote from James Phillips from Day 1’s keynote:
— Paras Doshi (@paras_doshi) November 5, 2014