Data Explorer add-in is amazing! It’s helps you: combine, find and re-shape your data in Excel 2010/2013. I’ve blogged about: 1) How to merge Table Data and 2) How to clean duplicate data and now in this blog post, I want to share a step-by-step on Unpivoting data using the Data Explorer add-in.
Before we begin, If you haven’t downloaded and installed the data explorer add-in for Excel 2010 & 2013, you can find Information about it here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/download-data-explorer-for-excel-FX104018616.aspx
What is un-pivoting? I hear you ask. Instead of explaining it, let me share an Image:
BTW, the above data is from my Facebook Page Insights.
So our problem statement is (please refer to above Image): we are given table blue and we need to output table green. In other words, we need to Unpivot the data.
Here are the steps:
1) Open Excel, Open Data Explorer add-in. And Connect to your data. Wait when you see the Query Editor.
2) (Optional) In the Query Editor, Rename the query. I renamed it to “Unpivot Data”. And this how my query editor looks:
3) Now, Select the columns that need to be unpivoted > Right Click > Unpivot Column
Note that I’ve selected all columns that I want to UnPivot:
4) You’ll see the updated results in the query editor window. I renamed the columns “Attribute” to “Age and Gender” and “value” to “reach”. If you want to rename the columns, select the column > Right click > rename.
If everything looks OK, click on Done in the bottom right corner
5) There you have it, Unpivoted data in Excel 2010/2013 using Data Explorer add-in!
And then its super easy to create charts, Here’s one I created after I had unpivoted the data:
Insight: For my blog, my Target Audience seems to Male between the age of 18-24 and then 25-34.
FYI: The Date Range of the Data Set of 1st Jan 2013 – 25th Apr 2013.
That’s about it for this post, Here are some Related articles:
- Remove Duplicates in Excel Tables using Data Explorer Add-in: (parasdoshi.com)
- Merging/Joining datasets in Excel using Data Explorer add-in (parasdoshi.com)
- PASS Business Analytics Conference Keynote Day #1 (parasdoshi.com)
Your comments are very welcome!