I installed StreamInsight 2.0 on my demo machine today and so I thought I would document the process.
Before we begin, few references to existing documents on the interwebs: Official documentation about Installation is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee378749.aspx and Introduction to concepts of StreamInsight can be accessed via the following resources:
1) MSDN documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee391416.aspx
3) SQL server central article: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/StreamInsight/69208/
4) A channel 9 video pointed out by Johan Ahlen: http://joinsights.com/2011/05/22/great-streaminsight-presentation-by-torsten-grabs/
Now, here are the steps that I took to install StreamInsight on my demo machine:
1) I located the StreamInsight installer inside the SQL Server 2012 Developer edition setup that I had:
Note that even though StreamInsight is licensed with SQL Server – It is different “software” that solves different technical problem(s). And note that StreamInsight does not have dependencies on SQL Server. It is a separate install.
2. On the Instance Configuration page, I added “StreamInsightInstaller” as the instance name. This is the first instance of StreamInsight that I am installing on my demo machine
3. On next dialog box, I added the product key that I have for SQL Server Developer edition. You also have the option to activate 180 day trial.
4. Then specify the StreamInsight service and group settings
5. Click on Install on next dialog box
6. You would also need to install the SQL compact edition. To do that, I navigated to C:Program FilesMicrosoft StreamInsight 2.0Redist
7. Now installation is complete at this point.
8. If the StreamInsight Service is not started, then go to services and start it.
In services: Right click > Start:
9. Now, You can run samples. To access them you can go to Start > all programs > StreamInsight Samples
In this blog-post, we saw how to install StreamInsight 2.0 on your machine.